Sunday, July 26, 2020

First Adventures! Food and Postdam and more food

Alexa and I walked to the grocery store, there are a few near by and we are trying to decide which one will be our go to.  It is very overwhelming to walk into a store where everything is in a language you do not know, sure wishing I would have worked harder on my German. I am now doing that, one of the first things I attempt to say is mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. Sometimes they just look at me, well most of the time. Anyhow, we are coming along. We found the good stuff.


There is a great fruit stand at the S Bahn stop by our house so that is nice too. We had our first Currywurst, which was great. I forgot to take a photo. Imagine that. It is a wurst (sausage) with a curry ketchup. Was surprised Jeff liked it, but he did.

We headed to Potsdam by the S Bahn to have dinner with a couple there. We left early in the day so we could explore the area a little bit. It is not far from us, maybe 30 min SouthWest. 

First attempt on the S Bahn together. Jeff did a great job figuring all the public transportation out. We hope to purchase bikes soon, as that will be a very nice way for us to get around. Hopefully we will find some this upcoming week. 

Neues Palais (New palace)




Lexa has some app that she can delete people out of so some of these look like no one is there, which is fun.




 Massive structures are impressive, especially back when they were actually built and didn't have the equipment we have today. 



Walking through the  Park Sanssouci










Schloss Sanssouci Castle
 


These were like greenhouses on each level. It amazing the magnitude of these palaces and castles. 

 If you look up behind us you can see those greenhouse like doors on every level it is pretty cool.



Headed back home at midnight! Can you believe it? Way past my bedtime. haha. 

We tried our first delivery. It was ok. Check out the delivery guy!





Did I mention I miss the dogs??

Oh and we got a new clothes dryer, pretty awesome!


Thankful we are able to move about. We have a met a few couples and have been invited to dinner a few times, which is nice. Hoping to have some folks with kids our age. Milo starts at the Kennedy International Sports Camp today. He seems to be excited, but I can imagine he is nervous. I am nervous for him. I am just a bit anxious for the kids in general, well myself too.  This is a big change. It is very strange going from being busy, to not busy at all. I think we get so used to the hustle and bustle and ,for me, I am not certain how to slow down to this kind of slow. There are no house projects, there is no weeding the garden, no piles of laundry (washer is tiny, little at a time) apartment is a quick clean, there is no tv, there are no close friends, just different and new. Trying to be intentional about what I want to fill my time with. I know it probably sounds crazy, that I have all this time and it makes me feel unsettled and anxious. I have learned to fill my day with busy and will be learning something new now.  Maybe I will figure out how I can type next to the photo instead of above and below. Probably didn't pick the best platform for this. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. All of you are getting into it. Enjoy and learn lots. Love, Dadf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t Potsdam beautiful. I loved it. Keep the adventures coming❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. so love the blog 😍 happy to be on your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neues Palais & Sanssouci are incredible, well worth the visit. Next time back check out Cecilianhof where Churchill, Truman & Stalin met. A phrase that helped me a great deal was entahuldigung (excuse me), ich spreche nur ein venig Deutsche (I speak only a little German), spreche sie English? (Do you speak English?). Glad you guys are getting out to enjoy the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures! Love the beautiful photos, interesting, informative,and little funny comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics Jaimee. The exploring looks amazing. Lexa is beautiful! Miss her so! Love the drying rack. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete