Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Retreat!

 Crossway Church retreat. We have been attending an International Baptist Church here in Berlin.  What a wonderful group of people. We were welcomed on day one, and not just by the people sitting around us (with masks) but people came from the front of the church and from the back to greet us. It was refreshing. They preach in English, but songs are sung in both German and English, the scripture reading is in both German and English. The friend, Jeff and I are taking German with translates the songs from German to English for us at our lesson.  Anyhow, we went on the Friday night-Sunday retreat with this group. It was so nice to get away. 


The road on the way into camp. It was about a 2 hour trip, just between changing trains and onto bus etc. It was beautiful .









There was a large area for kids to play. The were these drill like systems that moved water into troughs, it was pretty cool. 







There were 2 people that got baptized in the lake. I love to watch baptisms. Makes me a little weepy. Such a powerful statement of choosing to follow Christ. 


These 2 played sand volleyball together most of the time. I just love it when they hang out and  have fun together. 



One of the sessions we had each day on Psalm 118. We broke into small groups to connect for a bit after, it was nice to meet some new people. People from Germany, Wales, Netherlands, Brazil, Nigeria it is fun and far from Fort Collins.



So nice to be able to sing outside. There is no singing allowed inside at the church, so this was a nice change, with everyone 1.5 meters apart and outside, worship could happen!



German breakfast and my first spreadable meat.... Which are those 2 circles under the cucumber. I did not realize what it was, but the first one is liverwurst (the kids thought resembled cat food, and it did) The both tasted it. I don't think it is too bad with cheese and on bread.  Jeff did not try it.  This was the perfect spot to try all this, as I didn't have to buy it at the store and still got to try it. I should have taken a photo of this other stuff I tried, it is sold with the lunch meat, comes in a loaf shape and it a gelatinous with meat and/or vegetables in it. I guess it was a preservation method. It is called schwartenmagen I think, actually I just looked that up. I think that is what my dad would call head cheese. They sometimes call it meat jelly. This had more vegetables in it so it is  Sulze - aspic.  No one else would try this with me. I thought it was good. It has a pickled flavor and is sliced super thin. I'll have to take a photo of it next time. Anyhow, I will try anything once. You never know.




We were in a small cabin, with 4 bunk beds. 3 of us slept on the bottom and 1 still on the top! I was told tt was an old GDR camp, but have not researched to see if that is true.




LOVE THESE TWO SPENDING TIME TOGEHTER!



As we walked up to our apartment we all said we were glad to be home.  Perspectives are shifting. 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful weekend!!! Reminds me of the resort. Love seeing the blog and you guy's ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see what you are doing!!! What an adventure! And, of course, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! So glad you got this time together!

    ReplyDelete